Tuesday 25 September 2012

WATCH: “He gave me folic acid to swallow and abort the pregnancy” – Ex-wives of Frank Edoho and Zaaki Adzay narrate their sad experiences

by Reuben Dada

The Wellbeing Foundation Africa used this year’s edition of Peace Day which took place on September 21 to create awareness about the human and emotional cost of domestic violence. And what a splash the event made!
During the event, a short documentary was shown, which highlighted the scourge of domestic abuse, using the experiences of several abused women. Some of the ladies aren’t so well known, but there were of course the two poster girls of domestic abuse – wife of Frank Edoho, host of popular TV show, Who wants to be a millionaire; and wife of musician Zaaky Adzay.
The two women gave chilly accounts of their ordeal as wives of those two celebrities. It was painful to watch.
First Obiang, ex-wife of Frank Edoho:
“Just to dare to argue with your husband is like a challenge in your home,” she said. “The woman is challenging the man and tempers flay and then you snap, then there is a slap. He says ‘I am sorry it is a mistake’ then says ‘sorry I won’t do it again,’ then he does it again, again and again.”
The case of Zaaki Adzay’s ex-wife Hadiza was even more troubling. She recounted a particular bizarre experience. “He slapped me on the face so (and said) ‘get up you must abort this pregnancy today. Now that I am married to you, you want to hook me with pregnancy because I am a celebrity.’ Then there was a wardrobe in our room so I put my tummy in there and then he continued beating me. He had some folic acid in his hand and said I should swallow it and abort the pregnancy. When he gave me I said he should allow me take water, thank God the door was open so I ran away.”

No comments:

Post a Comment