Last weekend was my first independence day as an unbeliever.
Admitted, its 52nd anniversary is probably the worst time to admit this. However my reasoning is so obvious, I shouldn’t even have to explain it. If you think I’m exaggerating, look in the papers today. I know I am not the only one. There are many Nigerians who aren’t deluding themselves about where this country is and where it is headed.
Last weekend was my first independence day as an unbeliever. I really couldn’t get into all the Independence Day celebrations. Wishing a country in the toilet ‘Happy Independence day’ felt too much like wishing an alcoholic dad, ‘Happy Divorce Anniversary’, so I skipped it.
Funny thing is, there was actually a time when I believed Nigeria would eventually get better. I always imagined it was always a matter of time. I belonged to the school of “Nigeria is a very young country. With time we’ll sort these things out. Even America took over 200 years to get to where it is today.”
But 40 became 50 and 50 became 52 and nothing has changed. In fact things got worse. Million naira heists turned to billion dollar looting. In fact, as we’ve grown, the looters have become increasingly emboldened; buying up the country as they burn it to the ground. Today, the bar for what ill-gotten wealth can buy has shot through the roof (alongside inflation) into a sky filled with million dollar private jets purchased with Nigeria’s lost opportunities.
What Nigeria has done to itself is nothing short of despicable.
However, my lack of faith in Nigeria’s future doesn’t necessarily mean I will abandon it. In fact, it compels me to work even harder to right its course so I can believe it in again